Monday, May 11, 2009

Fears?!

Please tell me i am not the only person with silly fears! When i was little i got stuck in an elevator two different times and being closterphobic anyway that didn't help the situation. I avoid elevators at ALL cost. A few years ago on a cruise the food was on the 12th floor, i faithfully took 12 flights of stairs 3 times a day. No way was i going to take the elevator. Poor Bob would meet me at the top. Ok you get the idea....
WELL, we took a little trip last week to Vegas. I knew the place we would be staying at only had elevators but i was so desperate for some sun i didn't mind too much. We got there at 1 a.m. with 2 sleeping boys, got checked in and up to our 4th floor room we went. The elevator closed and i started talking to Bob trying not to pay much attention that we were on the elevator. It doesn't move, i push every level and it did nothing. Out of nowhere it starts going up to the 15th floor. I was just excited it was moving, so I could get out somewhere. It gets there and stops and will not open. We look down and see a slot for a key in the elevator so we try it and then push our floor, NOTHING. By this point i just kept saying Bob is this for real? Oh my gosh, get me out of here, is this for real? I am stuck in an elevator?? What is going on. On and on kind of starting to panic. Thank goodness that my husband has patience. He looked at me and kept saying don't you dare start freaking out, get to the back of the elevator, i'll get us out of here. It felt like hours but finally he got us back to the lobby. I went to the lady at the front desk and asked where the stairs were located,told her the elevator was broken and i refuse to ride it. There was a line behind me saying the same thing. So glad i wasn't the only one. The darn lady didn't program our elevator key and she said the stairs were for emergencies only. Obviously she didn't realize this was an emergency for me! During all of this the boys woke up and didn't go back to bed until 3 a.m. Well, glad to say it didn't happen again and i had no choice the rest of the trip but to take the elevator. Hopefully i am getting over my fear!!

This was Bob most of the time, we just felt lucky to have him with us during his busy time!

The 2 little fish












For Robert's birthday we had his mom watch the boys and we headed to SLC. It was so much fun. We met up with some friends Saturday night for a super-cross race which was actually a lot of fun.

10 comments:

Brad and Melissa said...

I can't believe that you got stuck in an elevator...I'm sorry to laugh at your expense, but what are the odds? I think I was with you for one of those times, or is it just becuase I've heard the story so much I feel like I was there? I really don't remember... It looks like you had a fun time - I'm glad you got to go. You never told us what your second fear was-I'm guessing water. Or chunky peanut butter!

Karmann said...

I am so sorry about the elevator experience! I swear it never fails that when you have a fear you have to face it when you dont want to! I hate elevators too and I think I would have hyperventalated! I am proud of you and being able to deal with it and so thankful that Bob was there with you! Looks like you had a good time in Vegas! It made me sad that I dont live there anymore cause I would have loved to see you! I miss you!!!

Leah Stallings Fine Art Photography said...

Your get away looks like if was fun! I am super jealous, I want some sun without wind so bad!

jenn said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your elavator experience, but I'm happy to see you had a good time otherwise! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Leah Miller said...

That is too funny. I am glad that you made it out of the elevator safely. If it makes you feel better I get flight anxiety. The older I get the worse it gets. My hands get all clammy on take off and landing, etc. It is kind of embarrassing. I try really hard to not act nervous in front of my kids though. :-)

Mindy said...

hahah..that's too funny!! I had a couple problems with the elevator at our hotel in Ft.Wayne..I'm the same way!! Cute pics..you look amazing!!

Ally Cat said...

I'm guessing the second fear is water. And don't you worry, I understand your fear!!!

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

haha Ally and Melissa how did you know? After all Ally we were the 1st 2 to jump in the water in Hawaii...i am still so proud of myself. And you never know mb with being pregnant that chuncky pb will come back to haunt me.

the Youngs said...

What's the deal with chunky peanut butter? And Hay, the boys are so dang cute. Love the picture of Isaac's frown while he is laying on the bench. haha

Brittany said...

What a fun trip! I love that the boys swam with goggles! I am going to try that this year! Good for you for still using the elevator. I've decided you never get over your fears you just have to get used to them! You know what I mean!!:)